China Studies Research Assistant
LOCATION: WASHINGTON, D.C.
The China Studies Research Assistant provides logistical and administrative support, as well as research writing and documentation assistance to the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation’s (VOC) China Programs. He/she reports to the China Programs and Research Manager and works closely with the China Studies Fellows. This is a nonexempt position based in Washington DC.
- Provide daily programmatic, logistical, financial, and administrative support for VOC China projects
- Assist with the data collection, research, and documentation for VOC China projects
- Assist with flight and hotel research and booking, visa application, etc.
- Conduct desk research for proposals, news updates, press statements, events, etc.
- Prepare summaries of materials gathered through research
- Other related duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, International Relations, China Studies, or other Social Science or related field
- Advanced degree preferred
- Fluency in English and Chinese required
- 1-2 years of relevant professional experience
- Demonstrated strong ability in Chinese language research skills
- Significant knowledge of, and interest in, current China issues
- Familiarity with human rights or democracy-related issues in China is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision under tight deadlines
Skills and Competencies
- Attention to detail and consistently produce timely and error-free work
- Strong ability to read and communicate in English and Mandarin Chinese
- Excellent research, analytical, and writing skills
- Familiarity with and strong interest in democracy, rule of law, and human rights issues in China
- Ability to work with limited supervision, including proactive problem-solving
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Strong ability to prioritize work and multi-task to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Flexible and adaptable with a positive attitude
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. VOC may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
To apply, please email email@example.com with the job title in the subject line and a resume and any supporting documents as PDF attachments.