Call for Applications: Supporting Victims of the Chinese Communist Party’s Repression in Xinjiang
Small Grants for spotlighting and empowering the narratives of those harmed by the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) repression in Xinjiang.
Issuance Date: June 21, 2021
Application Deadline and Instructions:
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis All grant applications must be submitted electronically to email@example.com with “Victims Advocacy Initiative Funds” in the subject line.
The Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation (VOC) invites applications for funding independent advocacy initiatives that relate to supporting victims of the CCP’s repression in Xinjiang, with a preference for ending forced labor and human rights related topics. Through witness testimony videos, advocacy campaigns, artistic work, education, and/ or other awareness-raising initiatives, proposed projects will aim to promote the stories and daily realities of those negatively impacted by the CCP’s repression in Xinjiang.
The “Victims Advocacy Initiative Funds” grants program will serve the following objectives:
- Support victims’ independent advocacy initiatives
- Empower victims and civil society activists among China’s diaspora communities
- Demonstrate commitment to advocacy to end repression against Uyghur and other ethnic minorities in China
- Enable stronger collaboration prospects for the impacted communities
- Raise awareness and expose CCP’s brutal policies towards ethnic minorities
The Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation will support initiatives up to $2,000. The proposals will be evaluated by a selection committee comprised of VOC representatives.
Applicants have broad latitude to design projects under this call, but applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Relevance – Idea must be advocacy / human rights / end forced labor related
- Background and connection to the issue – Demonstrate commitment to advocacy to end repression against Uyghur and other ethnic minorities
- Goal and Feasibility – Idea must be realistic to implement well and have impactful results
- Creative – Authentic approach to the project
- Documentation – Documents are presented in a clear way
- Cost effectiveness – Demonstrate that project costs are reasonable
– Victims of the CCP’s repression in Xinjiang.
– Organizations and individuals with demonstrated interest and motivation to advocate for Uyghurs and human rights.
Applications will be reviewed and winning grants awarded on an ongoing basis. The distribution of funds will follow entry into an agreement with the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation.
- Please fill out our application form. The form is attached here or please reach out to Mishel Kondi via firstname.lastname@example.org to request and submit the form. The information needed includes the following:
- Narrative (1 page maximum): including goal, idea/activity, how to implement and who will be implementing it, expected output/outcome/impact
- References (1-3) with name, affiliation, and contact information (phone number and email)
- Proposed timeline
- Budget (Up to $2,000) for travel, advocacy materials, events, and other relevant expenses. (Note: we do not fund salaries.)
- Short video preferred: We encourage applicants to submit a short video where they describe the project idea (maximum 3 minutes). The video will be fully confidential, and it will not be shared outside of the selection committee.
- Where did you hear about us?
The Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation (VOC) is an educational, research, and human rights nonprofit organization devoted to commemorating the more than 100 million victims of communism around the world and to pursuing the freedom of those still living under totalitarian regimes.